This professional staff position is part-time (approximately 20-30 hours per week). The director will promote the integration of our young people into the full life of faith in St John’s. This position is committed to the long-term development of family ministry with enthusiasm and dedication to working directly with people of all ages. The director will develop programming, fellowship, and opportunities for service and worship; coordinate with youth education teams; and encourage volunteers and parents to provide fellowship and faith-building activities for our youth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead all facets of youth programs including children’s education programs including Sunday School, Youth Ministry, Confirmation and Vacation Bible School.
- Plan annual retreat and youth mission opportunities to include content development, budgeting, fundraising, registration, etc.
- Develop and coordinate intergenerational social activities/events.
- Be active on Sunday mornings with the educational hour and develop ways for young people to become more involved in Sunday services. The director will be a regular part of the Sunday service.
- Attend staff meetings and faith formation committee meetings.
- Communicate with families, youth and volunteers, staff and the congregation to let everyone know about current and upcoming youth and family programs through the most effective channels.
- Work with the Youth Education Team to recruit, develop and encourage volunteers and parents to offer fellowship and faith-building activities. The director will develop or implement a curriculum for use in all programs.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of youth and family programs and provide recommendations for improvement to the pastor.
- Any other assigned task.
- Initiate, develop and maintain positive personal relationships with youth and their families through a variety of activities.
- Build relationships with St. John’s and non-St. John’s children, youth and families who may be looking for a church family.
- The director is responsible and supervised by the senior pastor.
- The director supervises the crèche staff.
The director submits:
- A monthly report to the senior pastor.
- An annual report to the Council of Congregation for distribution in the Annual Report to the Congregation.
- Other reports requested by senior pastor and/or board.
Each year, the senior pastor will engage the director in a formal process of evaluation and feedback for reflection and job performance evaluation.
EDUCATION: Preferred bachelor’s degree
- One-year experience in a faith-based organization affiliated with the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) or a church with which the ELCA is in full communion (The Episcopal Church, United Church of Christ, Presbyterian Church (USA), Reformed Church in America, United Methodist Church, The Moravian Church).
- Demonstrated experience in accompanying people, including but not limited to children, youth and families on their journey of faith.
- Experience in event planning, budget management, program development and implementation, and working with volunteers.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to identify issues, exercise discretion and maintain good boundaries and confidentiality.
- Computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills within an intergenerational community.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and adhere to agreed guidelines.
- Ability to adapt to flexible working hours.
- Ability to pass all background checks and clearances.
- Ability and desire to support the mission of St. John’s and to welcome all people in accordance with ELCA theology.
- Range of hearing and vision sufficient to operate standard office machinery and communicate with colleagues and stakeholders in person and over the telephone.
- This is an active position that requires regular walking, standing, bending, leaning, and pushing/pulling. May require lifting up to 50 lbs.
- This position requires flexible work hours, including nightly and infrequent travel within and outside of Pennsylvania.
- Free from addiction and abuse of illegal or illicit drugs, alcohol, inhalants or other chemicals or controlled substances.