Hike sentence

Fatal Glen Burnie stabbing invites jail time: officials

GLEN BURNIE, MD — A woman has been sentenced after pleading guilty to fatally stabbing Glen Burnie, county prosecutors announced Monday.

A judge sentenced the accused woman, Inari Molina, 27, to life in prison with a 60-year suspended sentence. That means Molina will spend 60 years behind bars for Brian Gifford’s 2019 death, officials said.

“The victim, Mr. Gifford, was sitting in his truck when the defendant opened the door of his truck, apparently to search for valuables inside,” said Anne Arundel County Prosecutor Anne Colt Leitess, in a press release. “When she met [Mr. Gifford], instead of abandoning her plan to commit the robbery, she chose to attack him violently and stabbed him 36 times. This was an unprovoked attack as the individuals did not know and did not know each other.”

The investigation began on July 27, 2019 when someone reported a foul odor coming from a white van in a parking lot on the 800 block of Aquahart Road in Glen Burnie. Authorities said the Anne Arundel County Police Department responded and found a body inside the truck, which was later identified as Gifford’s remains.

Prosecutors said officers collected evidence at the scene, including a fixed-blade knife that was inside the truck.

Detectives secured footage from a nearby restaurant showing the victim alive on July 16, 2019, the statement said. Police learned that Gifford sometimes slept in his car near his job sites.

Investigators spoke to two people who described an encounter they had with a tall, thin person who was wearing a wig and tracksuit with white stripes down the side. Officials said the woman, later identified as Molina, asked the duo for money and cigarettes while waiting for transport near where the victim’s truck was found.

Surveillance video from July 17, 2019 showed someone who looked like the accused wearing the same jacket with the white striped sleeves walking through the parking lot, authorities said.

Prosecutors said that person approached the truck and opened its door at 4:33 a.m.

Detectives located and interviewed the accused on July 31, 2019. Police noticed Molina had a large cut on his finger that was healing poorly, the statement said.

Officials said Molina had a history of similar thefts from cars, so officers obtained a search warrant.

Authorities said they matched Molina’s DNA sample with forensic evidence from the victim’s truck.

The test suggested Molina’s DNA sample matched the bloodstain from the truck, prosecutors said.

Maryland’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled Gifford’s death a homicide caused by multiple stab wounds, the statement said.

Authorities said Molina pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree murder on May 19, 2022.

Assistant State Attorneys Glen Neubauer and Rashad Wright prosecuted the case. Judge Mark Crooks presided over it.

“Mr. Gifford’s life was taken from him for no reason, leaving a huge void in the lives of those who loved him dearly,” the state’s attorney said. “We hope today’s sentence will bring some comfort to his family.”