Akwa Ibom State High Court Judge Bassey Nkanang sentenced Uduak Akpan to death by hanging for the murder of the late Iniubong Umoren.
Umoren, a philosophy graduate from Uyo wen Uduak University kills while looking for a job for April 2021 pending NYSC mobilization.
The trial judge, Judge Bassey Nkanang bin sets the judgment date after the prosecution and the defense lawyer adopt the last written addresses.
Three people will be tried for a murder case namely Uduak-Abasi Akpan, the first defendant, Frank Akpan and Anwan-Bassey Akpan, the second and third defendants.
The court, however, released and acquitted Frank Akpan and Anwan-Bassey Akpan of the second and third accused.
Uduak-Abasi Akpan invites him to a job interview and is tried on two counts of rape and murder.
Di second accused pesin Frank Akpan wey be im father bin dey accused of complicity after the fact of murder and di third accused Anwan-Bassey Akpan, Uduak Akpan sister bin dey accused of harboring brother for his residence in Calabar for the purpose of help am to escape justice.
How di mata begins?
Na for April 2021, one of Iniubong Umoren’s friends sounded the alarm for social media saying she was missing.
Iniubong Ephraim Umoren, a philosophy graduate from Uyo University, went online on April 27 to apply for a job, but fell into the wrong hands. For her pinned post on Twitter that she posted on April 27, she says she has found work.
On April 29, her friend Umoh Uduak started using #HinyNumoren to announce that her friend was in trouble and needed help.
Uduak wey her twitter account be @HappinessActivist says her friend tells her she is going for job interview for Airport road Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and she has not come back from den.
She says the interview location is very far from her home. She adds that she sent her a second audio recording and she tries to call her back, she hears her cry. Many Twitter users stopped to find her.
I come to get the Akwa Ibom State Police to start investigating the case and arrest an Uduak-Abasi Akpan after finding Iniobong Umoren dead for a shallow grave for his house in Uyo, capital of the State of Akwa Ibom.
Police have arrested Uduak Frank Akpan, 20, for the alleged kidnapping, rape and murder of Miss Umoren.
Police Commissioner Andrew Amiengheme said the first report of the case was a suspected kidnapping, but while he was on the trail of the kidnappers, ICT hit social media as they went online, a photo of father and boy would come and stop them. dad like di boy bin don escape.
“Well at first they deny the case but after serious questioning they break down and confess and the case goes from anti-kidnapping to homicide to murder and leads the police to the place where she is buried. It’s obvious to say that a struggle is going on, mark part of her abdomen and head.” And okay.
your device is not suitable for this view
Timeline of how di case waka
- JULY 2021 – Uduak Frank Akpan pleads guilty before Judge Bennett Ilaumoh.
- NOVEMBER 2, 2021 – Judge Bassey Nkenang takes over the case from former trial judge Judge Bennett Illaumoh wey dem transfer to the Itu Judicial Division.
- NOVEMBER 2, 2021 – Beginning of the new trial
- NOVEMBER 2, 2021 – Court issues production warrant for third defendant Bassey Anwan Akpan, 25, an English language and literary studies graduate, says she is babysitting her younger brother for his residence in Calabar .
- NOVEMBER 4, 2021 – Request to adjourn case for plea.
- NOVEMBER 4, 2021 – 1st Prosecution Witness and Chairman of Uruan Local Government Area, Surveyor Iniobong Ekpenyong tells the court that Uduak Frank Akpan came to the house and confesses to saying he murdered Iniubong Umoren.
- NOVEMBER 4, 2021 – 2nd Prosecution Witness Kufre Effiong for his evidence also told the court that Uduak Frank Akpan told his cousin and his cousin Surveyor Iniobong Ekpenyong told Iniubong’s murder Umoren.
- NOV 16, 2021 – 5th Prosecution Witness and Police Investigator, Inspector Sunday Udo tells the court that Uduak Frank Akpan confesses to telling the murder of Iniubong Umoren and takes the police to Uruan’s father’s residence, with whom they dig up Umoren’s decomposed body.
- NOVEMBER 16, 2021 – Di accused pesin, Uduak Frank Akpan for his evidence in court, denies making a confessional statement.
- DECEMBER 1, 2021 – Adoption of written addresses in trial in the trial.
- DECEMBER 13, 2021 – Decision on trial in trial.
- APRIL 6, 2022 – Uduak Frank Akpan denies knowledge of Iniubong Umoren who dug up his body from his father’s residence.