Hike sentence

Kesgrave gunman, 16, has his attempted murder sentence slashed

A 16-year-old shooter who blasted a 15-year-old boy in the face with a shotgun has today had his attempted murder sentence slashed by Appeal Court judges.

Jacob Talbot-Lummis was also 15 when he took his father’s car and laid in wait for more than an hour before shooting the victim from less than five feet away.

Chilling photographs also reveal Talbot-Lummis proudly posing with a replica AK47 assault rifle given to him by a family friend as a younger child before he took a shotgun from his grandfather’s home to blast the boy in the face at ‘very close range’ in September 2020.

Sentencing him last November, Judge Martyn Levett said the victim, who had been walking to school, suffered ‘unimaginably serious injuries’, flashbacks and continued to be ‘reliant on his family’.

Talbot-Lummis, then 16, was handed an extended sentence made up of 24 years in custody and five years on extended licence.

However, three senior judges at the Court of Appeal reduced the sentence for attempted murder to 18 years in custody with an extended five years on license on Tuesday.

Jacob Talbot-Lummis, pictured, was 15 when he took his father’s car to the scene in Kesgrave and laid in wait for more than an hour before shooting the victim from less than five feet away

Chilling photographs reveal Talbot-Lummis proudly posing with a replica AK47 assault rifle given to him by a family friend as a younger child

Chilling photographs reveal Talbot-Lummis proudly posing with a replica AK47 assault rifle given to him by a family friend as a younger child

The shotgun used by Talbot-Lummis who shot a 15-year-old boy in the face with the double-barreled shotgun

The shotgun used by Talbot-Lummis who shot a 15-year-old boy in the face with the double-barreled shotgun

Ipswich Crown Court heard that Talbot-Lummis ‘didn’t show any mercy’ as he ‘ruthlessly executed’ a plan in Kesgrave to attack the boy on the first day back at school since lockdown restrictions eased on September 7 2020.

The teenager said in evidence that he wanted to ‘scare’ the boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

He also claimed the boy had caused him ‘humiliation and fear’ and fired the gun unintentionally near Kesgrave High School.

But jurors rejected his version of events and convicted him of attempted murder.

He was sentenced to 24 years’ imprisonment in November 2021 by Judge Martyn Levett.

Ipswich Crown Court heard that Talbot-Lummis 'didn't show any mercy' as he 'ruthlessly executed' a plan in Kesgrave, Suffolk to attack the boy on the first day back at school since lockdown restrictions eased on September 7 2020

Ipswich Crown Court heard that Talbot-Lummis ‘didn’t show any mercy’ as he ‘ruthlessly executed’ a plan in Kesgrave, Suffolk to attack the boy on the first day back at school since lockdown restrictions eased on September 7 2020

The trial also heard that Talbot-Lummis had played a virtual reality computer game called Blood Trail the day before the shooting which was ‘a factor for the onset of violent fantasies’.

The three appeal judges heard the shooter told another boy that he planned to move to Guatemala after the shooting.

Lord Justice Holroyde said: ‘The extent to which the offense was planned was, in our view, exceptional.’

At a hearing in London, Talbot-Lummis appeared via video link to challenge the length of his sentence.

His barrister Diana Ellis QC said the award was ‘manifestly excessive’.

Talbot-Lummis also claimed the boy had caused him 'humiliation and fear' and fired the gun unintentionally near Kesgrave High School.

Talbot-Lummis also claimed the boy had caused him ‘humiliation and fear’ and fired the gun unintentionally near Kesgrave High School.

rmed police officers outside a propertyin Kesgrave, Suffolk in September 2020

rmed police officers outside a propertyin Kesgrave, Suffolk in September 2020

She argued that the sentencing judge had failed to properly consider the amount of mitigation the teenager had, including his youth, ‘dysfunctional’ upbringing and the bullying he said he faced from his victim.

During the original sentencing, Judge Levett said he did not accept ‘there was bullying of the scale or the degree suggested’.

Lord Justice Holroyde, sitting with Mr Justice Julian Knowles and Mr Justice Cotter, said the trial judge was ‘in the best position to assess the evidence’.

He continued: ‘What, with respect, he did not address however was the full effect of the bullying, whatever its level, may have been on the appellant.’

The senior judges said there was evidence that Talbot-Lummis had suffered from mental health difficulties, including evidence from a friend and experts.

They also said the sentencing judge should have taken Talbot-Lummis’s youth more into account and reduced the sentence further from the number of years that would have been given to an adult.

Lord Justice Holroyde said: ‘There was, in our view, no basis for treating the appellant as being more mature than others of his age.’

Allowing the appeal, the senior judges also reduced a concurrent sentence for possession of a gun with intent to endanger life from 12 years to nine years.