Hike sentence

Killer in King County ‘jihad’ killing spree gets 93 years in prison – KIRO 7 News Seattle

KING COUNTY, Wash. — A man convicted of murdering three people in King County and one in New Jersey was sentenced by a court on Friday to 93 years in prison.

This is in addition to a life sentence that Ali Muhammad Brown is already serving for the shooting death of a young man in New Jersey.

Eight years have passed since the 2014 killings that Brown described as a “jihad” killing spree.

Family members of murder victims spoke to sentencing judge Jim Rogers in King County Superior Court, sharing their years of untold pain and pleading for justice.

“You have to put up with me because it’s very difficult to be in the same room as this monster who murdered my son,” Falana Young said in tears. Young is the mother of Dwone Anderson-Young, who was 23 when Brown killed him.

“I’ve been waiting for closure for eight years. To get my day in court to talk about my son and talk about the wonderful man he is,” Young said. suspended for eight years,” she said.

Brown was found guilty of murdering four people. He spoke to the families outside the court towards the end of his sentencing hearing.

“I would like to apologize to the family members and let them know that I regret killing their family members. And there is nothing I can do to change it now because it has already been done,” Brown said. “I wish I could go back in time and change that with all my heart. I wish I could go back in time and change instead of being mean,” he said.

The four shootings called “executions” by prosecutors took place in 2014.

At the time, Brown said in interviews with investigators that his motive was to avenge US foreign policy in the Middle East.

“I decided to do these things because I was led astray by Islamic Jihad,” Brown said in court on Friday.

On April 27, 2014, he shot 30-year-old Leroy Henderson in the back and killed him as he walked home from a convenience store in Skyway after buying a soda and crisps for his uncle.

About a month later, on June 1, Brown hooked up with two young men on a gay social networking app and met them at a bar in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood.

In their car, he shot them both. One of the victims was Ahmed Said, 27. The other was Anderson-Young. Brown told investigators he killed them because they were gay.

“They must have identified him by his orthodontist records,” Young said. She says her son dated her when he was 14.

“I said, ‘I don’t care. I love you, you are my son. My concern was that you’re black, you’re male, and you’re gay, and not everyone is going to accept you. And my worst fear came true,” Young said in tears.

The family described Anderson-Young as “brilliant” – a University of Washington graduate and the first in his family to complete college. Several family members and pleaded in court for justice.

“I’m just asking you to give it your all,” Young said.

After killing three men in King County, Brown fled to New Jersey. In the Newark area, he killed another young man, 19-year-old Brendan Tevelin, who was sitting in his car at a red light.

Brown was arrested and eventually sentenced to life in prison for this crime.

In 2019, Brown was extradited to King County to face charges for the crimes committed. Finally, the families of the victims are at the end of a long, long wait.

“It’s been eight years. And I just want my closure,” Young said.

A judge sentenced Brown to 93 years in prison to be served consecutively to his life sentence in New Jersey, instead of concurrently – clearly a symbolic gesture.

“You will be in jail for the rest of your natural life, and that concludes my sentence,” Judge Jim Rogers told Brown as family members of the victims cheered.

Prosecutors say the plan is to send Brown back to New Jersey to serve his life sentence, where he was first sentenced.