Hike sentence

Life sentence for the murder of West Passyunk

Photo added

A 28-year-old man is facing a life sentence without parole for the 2018 murder of Richard Jackson at a barbecue in the West Passyunk neighborhood of South Philly.

A jury found Daryl Burns guilty of first degree murder, possession of an illegal firearm and related charges after shooting and killing Jackson on July 15, 2018.

Burns is set to be sentenced to life without the possibility of parole before Common Pleas Court Judge Diana L. Anhalt in August.

“I am grateful to Assistant District Attorney Robert Wainwright and the Philadelphia Police Department for their diligence in this case and their commitment to bringing Richard Jackson’s murderer to justice,” District Attorney Larry Krasner said. “I would also like to thank the eyewitnesses who have played a crucial role in helping investigators bring this case to a close. The tragic case of Mr. Jackson is a clear example of why cooperating eyewitnesses can make a huge difference in these serious matters.

According to witnesses who were at a family barbecue on the 1500 block of S. Bambrey Street shortly before the murder, Jackson had an argument with the defendant’s brother, leading to a physical altercation with Daryl Burns. Burns and his brother were then asked to leave the barbecue. Jackson told one of the witnesses that he was going home to take a shower and calm down.

Later that evening, another cooperating eyewitness observed Burns walking to Jackson’s residence in the 2000 block of Norwood Street. Burns knocked on the door and shot Jackson point-blank in the chest as Jackson opened the door. Reportedly, Burns calmly tucked the handgun back into his trouser belt and left the scene. Police were called to the scene and transported Jackson to Penn Presbyterian Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Family members who were still grieving the loss of Jackson were happy with the outcome of the trial.

“Richard was a big brother, uncle and friend,” Sheresse Jackson said. “He was the kind of person who, if someone needed a shirt, took the shirt off their back and gave it to them. I really miss my brother, but I’m also very, very comfortable with Justice has been made here.

According to the prosecutor’s office, investigators used surveillance footage obtained from multiple locations, in conjunction with eyewitness accounts, to identify Burns on the block where the crime occurred. Basically, these eyewitnesses cooperated with the police from the very beginning of the investigation until the conclusion of the jury trial to help convict Burns.

“It’s been an absolute honor to try this case and get justice for Mr. Jackson’s loved ones,” Wainwright said. “I also commend the witnesses involved in this case – including Mr. Jackson’s longtime partner, Vitia Wilson, who bravely testified – without whom justice would have been much harder to come by. Our office needs the public to know that resources are available to keep you safe, and we urge you to provide any information that can help law enforcement solve violent crimes. We cannot do this alone.