Hike sentence

Murderer serving a life sentence on the run for the second time after escaping from an open prison

A killer who murdered a disabled man in his home is on the run for the second time after escaping from an open-air prison.

Lee Nevins and his accomplice Mark Lang were jailed for life for the sadistic murder of 20-year-old disabled Lee Jobling at his Gateshead home in 2006.

Less than two years into his life sentence, Nevins escaped as he was taken from Frankland Prison in County Durham to the Royal Hospital in Sunderland for treatment of an injury to his stomach. hand.

A massive manhunt was launched and he managed to spend a week on the run before he was finally arrested in Scotland.

The violent criminal, now 39, is free again after fleeing an open-air prison in Derbyshire, nearly 16 years after being convicted of the murder.

Lee Jobling (pictured above) had his life cruelly snatched from him aged just 20 after a life of tragedy and injury

Convicted murderer Lee Nevins (left) is on the run for the second time, after fleeing from an open prison in Derbyshire. Right: Victim Lee Jobling

A Prison Service spokesperson said: ‘HMP Sudbury is working with police to quickly recapture Lee Nevins and once captured he faces a longer time behind bars.

HMP Sudbury in Ashbourne is a Category D prison, meaning it has a more relaxed regime and houses prisoners defined as “those who can reasonably be trusted not to try to escape and who have the privilege of an open prison”.

Nevins and Lang beat Lee to death in his own home after throwing a party.

The horror murder came after years of Lee overcoming odds to survive a childhood marred by tragedy.

He was only six years old when his mother Shirley, who was divorced from his father, died suddenly of a brain haemorrhage.

Lee and his two brothers went to live with his aunt and uncle, Angela and Garry Knotts, at their house on the Leam Lane estate in Gateshead.

Then, aged just 15, Lee suffered serious head injuries after falling off a bridge while playing with friends and spent two weeks in a coma.

The accident left Lee with brain damage, walking with a limp, and suffering from memory problems.

With the support of his family, Lee fought on and, although he was not well enough to work in the months before his death, he had moved into his own apartment not far from his aunt’s.

On Saturday, April 8, 2006, Lee invited some friends over to his apartment on Cotemede for a drink.

Lee Jobling (pictured above) died after a brutal attack by Nevins and his accomplice Mark Lang

Lee Jobling (pictured above) died after a brutal attack by Nevins and his accomplice Mark Lang

However, news of the gathering spread to the local pub and Nevins and Lang drove to his house after closing time.

Consumed by alcohol and drugs, the two men, who did not even know Lee, did not leave with the other guests, but remained in the apartment, where they launched their prolonged attack in the early hours.

Nevins and Lang taunted and mocked Lee before repeatedly punching and kicking him in the head.

When paramedics forced their way into Lee’s home, they found him lying unconscious, his face covered in blood.

He suffered multiple injuries, including fatal brain damage, and died in hospital 19 days later.

Nevins, then 23, of Leam Lane, and Lang, then 24, of Harlow Green, Gateshead, were eventually charged with murder.

They pleaded not guilty but, after a two-week trial at Newcastle Crown Court in which the two killers tried to blame each other, they were both found guilty of the brutal crime.

Judge John Milford sentenced them both to life, ordering that Nevins, who had previous convictions for violence, serve at least 17 years and Lang at least 16 years.

He told them, “For your own amusement, you bullied him, sat on him, and bound his legs with wire.

“Later, you attacked him again, delivering no less than 12 blows to his head.

“The attack dragged on and he was left in a terrible state.

“You attacked him so you could derive pleasure from his pain and the pain he suffered, I’m sure. I’ve been watching you throughout this case. None of you showed an iota of remorse.

He warned that they would only be released when it was deemed safe and both would remain under license for life.

After Nevins’ first escape in 2008, a damning report revealed a series of gaffes by prison staff that allowed it to happen.

A Prison Service investigation found that guards did not search the killer or even securely fasten handcuffs or restraints.

Nevins was also able to smuggle his address book and paper clips from his cell to help him escape.

Failed attempts to find him left him roaming the streets freely for nearly a week.

The killer was also helped by the fact that he was allowed to go to the hospital in civilian clothes, not a prison uniform.

During Nevins’ days on the run, Newcastle Central Station was locked down for 40 minutes after a tip-off which turned out to be a false alarm.

A reward of £1,000 was also offered for information leading to Nevins’ capture and several people were arrested.

Northumbria Police Superintendent Gordon Milward, however, insisted Nevins was not a danger to the general public.

He said: “My current assessment is that he poses no danger to the general public, but he clearly needs to be returned to prison.”

“We are treating this as a matter of urgency and we are looking specifically at the people who were involved in bringing him to prison. I want to make sure there’s no direct threat.

“We will take all the measures we deem necessary.

“And we are doing everything so that he does not leave the country.”

Nevins was eventually arrested after being spotted by a police officer in Tillicoultry, near Stirling, Scotland.

Police said he surrendered without a fight and was taken to a police station in Scotland.

Superintendent Milward announced: ‘An officer spotted, identified and arrested him.’

Nevins later admitted to escaping lawful custody at Peterborough Crown Court and was given a 12-month prison sentence to run alongside his previous sentence.