Hike sentence

‘Sinister’ North East pervert sentenced to second life sentence

Detectives who have tracked down a ‘sinister’ sex attacker have hailed his latest life sentence.

Sexual predator Philip Hann grabbed a woman from behind as she walked along a path before pointing a knife in her face and attempting to drag her to a vacant lot where he intended to kill her seriously sexually assault.

The 55-year-old had been out of prison for less than three years after being jailed for life in 1994 after committing a number of horrifying rapes and sexual assaults.

Teesside Crown Court heard how the perv used the same tactic as nearly 30 years ago when he donned a balaclava, armed himself with a knife and sexually assaulted lone women.

Philip Hann. Photo: CLEVELAND POLICE

This time his future victim managed to fight him off and escape his predatory grasp after he kidnapped her from Tees Barrage near Stockton in May last year.

The quick thinking of the victim and members of the public who saw Hann behaving suspiciously meant that he was quickly arrested and identified by the trail of evidence he left in his wake as he attempted to flee the scene.

Read more: The face of a serial sex offender jailed for life after kidnapping a woman at knifepoint

Judge Christopher Smith sentenced Hann to a life sentence with a minimum period of seven years and two months in prison.

Detective Sergeant Sarah Beadle, speaking after the sentencing hearing, said: ‘It was a terrifying experience for the woman involved and I would like to thank the many members of the public who comforted her and watched over her. that she feels safe while waiting for the police to arrive. .

“Her bravery and foresight in staying on the scene so she could give officers more information was truly remarkable and it also meant that Hann was apprehended and arrested very quickly.

“Hann is a sinister and dangerous individual who acted brazenly in broad daylight at a popular outdoor venue – where everyone should be free to enjoy themselves without harm.

“He then repeatedly denied his intentions, adding to the distress of the victim. It was only late in the legal process that he finally admitted to having attempted to abduct his victim with the intention of then committing a sexual offence.

“Once again, I must salute his bravery and his determination to see justice done. I’m sure I speak to everyone involved in the investigation wishing him well and we all sincerely hope that today’s outcome helps him move forward.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated Teesside Facebook page for all the latest news in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news from across the region straight to your inbox, sign up for our newsletter here.

Do you have a story for us? Contact our press office on [email protected] or contact 01325 505054