Hike sentence

Swindon man on suspended sentence receives ANOTHER ‘last chance’ after new crime

A 23-year-old man serving a suspended sentence has been given another ‘last chance’ – despite committing more crimes.

Appearing at Swindon Magistrates’ Court last Tuesday (March 22), Corey Gunn pleaded guilty to a charge of using threatening or abusive language or behavior in public.

Keith Ballinger, prosecuting, said police were called to a report of a disorder in Havelock Square, Swindon town center at around 3.40pm on January 27 this year.

The article continues below the ad

A CCTV operator, based at The Brunel shopping center, reported that Gunn was involved in a “heated exchange” with a number of people before “throwing a punch in the direction of a man”.

Neighborhood Officer PC Paul Bezzant rushed to the scene, locating the accused at Canal Walk – where he was said to be in an ‘agitated state’.

The article continues below the ad

In police custody, he told officers the man he attempted to assault had been ‘inappropriate’ towards a woman he knew. He acknowledged that he had thrown a punch and had been involved in the confrontation.

At the time of the offense, Gunn was three months away from a 24-month suspended prison order. He was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison for assaulting his girlfriend before spitting in the face of a stranger – an 11-year-old girl who was attacking on a bicycle.

The youngster told police in a video statement that she felt “frightened”. Prosecutor Charles Nightingale previously told the court the incident had a “significant impact on her”.

Gunn, of County Road, Swindon, admitted breaching the suspended sentence by committing a new crime.

Defending, Sam Arif, said his client got involved in an altercation with the man because he feared he touched a woman he knew in a store.

“He sees it downtown, that’s what it was about. He told her not to do it again, that’s how the incident happened,” she said.

Adding: “I think it would be unfair to activate his sentence, he is progressing well on the current suspended sentence. He is not in breach and attends all appointments.

“He is tired of being in and out of court. He had to move on and change his life.

The court heard that Gunn was drinking more responsibly, working hard with the probation service, undergoing an autism evaluation, getting a studio and looking for a job.

The magistrates decided not to activate his suspended sentence. Instead, he was fined £50 and a further five days of requiring rehabilitation activities on his current order.

He must pay prosecution costs of £85 and a surcharge of £34.